Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Thursday, June 23, 2016

Speculation on the Shutdown of FamilySearch.org on June 27th, 2016

For the past few years, my use of the FamilySearch.org Family Tree program has been dominated by its domination by the limitations imposed by the new.FamilySearch.org program. I began to speculate that the end of the limitations was in sight when I observed certain tell-tale signs in the changes being made to the Family Tree. Now, we are getting a clear message that the end of these burdensome limitations may actually occur on June 27th, 2016 with the final separation of the two programs. Mind you, this is still speculation. FamilySearch, as such, has yet to make an official announcement.

I was encouraged however, by an analysis from the Ancestry Insider talking about the possible separation of the two programs. See "FamilySearch Announces Shutdown, Upgrade." He refers to a GetSatisfaction post called, "Preparing to stop synchronizing between nFS and Family Tree, on Beta."

If this is really the end of the limitations on the merging of duplicates on the Family Tree, then I will certainly have a lot of work to do when it happens. The number of duplicates of some of my own ancestors numbers in the hundreds. I plan to write a series of posts on the process and explain any issues I observe.

If the 27th of June of 2016 does not turn out to be the much anticipated date, then we will keep on working as usual and wait some more.

No comments:

Post a Comment