There are dozens of online family tree programs and making a choice among all the alternatives is quite a challenge. Rootsfinder.com is a possible alternative for those who are wary of the open, collaborative structure of the FamilySearch.org Family Tree. The program is described as follows:
At RootsFinder we believe family history should be easy to research, easy to share, and most of all you should control your tree. At RootsFinder:I created a new family tree and then downloaded 4 generations from the FamilySearch.org. I immediately got into a problem in that there appeared to be no way to merge or eliminate duplicates. I tried to delete a duplicate entry and immediately lost my family tree. Hmm. It seems like they have a ways to go before this program is entirely useful.
- You decide who can edit your tree with our Free Forever Plan.
- With our Pro Plan, you can make your tree private. Only people you invite can see your tree.
- Sync with FamilySearch if you want to, but still get hints from FamilySearch, FindMyPast and others.
- Download your tree from family search complete with memories and sources.
- Add events to a whole family at once.
- Copy online records directly into your tree with the RootsFinder Web clipper.
- Enter data entry 60% faster.
I will continue to work with the program and report back in a future post. Right now, it looks like I need to start over with a new tree.