Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Friday, August 28, 2015

Mesa FamilySearch Library to remain closed

As I explained in my post today on Genealogy's Star, the Mesa FamilySearch Library (formerly known as the Mesa Regional Family History Center) will remain closed for the time being. I am disappointed and sad about this outcome. I certainly understand the complexity of the problem and hope that the missionaries and volunteers can have meaningful opportunities to serve in other capacities. I think I am beginning to understand more about the reasons for the impressions I had to move to Provo.

It is my opinion that the jury is still out on Family Discovery Centers. I would guess that they will have to show some measurable positive impact on the family history activity in the areas where they are established before they spread too much further in their present form. I also think that the whole system needs to be examined. If we have 4600 plus Family History Centers and the overall family history activity of the Church is not being positively affected, perhaps we need to reassess the need for the Centers and examine the real way family history is done by those who are "active" in pursuing their ancestors. We have over 100 years of experience in this regard.

I could say a lot more, but I will not. Let's wait and see what ultimately happens in Mesa and elsewhere.

No comments:

Post a Comment