Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Saturday, September 1, 2018

Still Waiting for the Golden Years: Too Busy to Wait



I realize that I am getting older because I have children who are old and grandchildren who are graduating from Brigham Young University. I guess the main indication of age is the cumulative effects of years of being in everything from multiple car accidents to an avalanche. Downhill skiing and rock climbing contributed their share of the injuries as did falling down stairs and crashing into the ground on multiple other occasions. 

I chose to do all those things and feel like I deserve the consequences. What I think is interesting is that despite all that I still feel like I should be out looking for a job or starting a new business. I keep a list of "To Do" items and it is growing longer every day. 

One of the most enduring images I have of old age is from a short video produced by The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints back in 1977 called "The Mailbox." Granted, I am still not quite as old as 83-year-old Lethe who is depicted in the movie, but I am sure I am not waiting at my mailbox for some contact with my family. Times have changed and I am electronically connected to everyone. I can talk to any one of my children and their family members in a few seconds. But reality is that I am busy, they are busy and I don't have time to walk out to a mailbox or sit around feeling sorry for myself. What if they remade the movie with Lethe on Facebook, Instagram, Twitter, and Google+? What if Lethe was now volunteering for a local charity or participating in the senior activities at the local recreation center. In Provo, we have a wonderful Rec Center that has multiple activities for Seniors every day. We have been to one or two, but mostly we use the advanced exercise equipment and walk on the track.

There comes a time for all of us old or young when our life's journey comes to an end. But meanwhile, there isn't time enough to do even a small percentage of the things I need to do and want to do. I have been thinking about a trip to the Himalayas or Antartica, but those probably won't happen, what will happen, as long as I can move and think, is that I will keep writing, talking, doing genealogical research and helping people find their families. Oh, I failed to mention currently spending over 40 hours a week digitizing probate records at the Maryland State Archives. As the hymn says,

 I have work enough to do,
Ere the sun goes down,
For myself and kindred too,
Ere the sun goes down:
Ev'ry idle whisper stilling
With a purpose firm and willing,
All my daily tasks fulfilling,
Ere the sun goes down.



No comments:

Post a Comment