Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Thursday, April 25, 2019

Exploring Genealogy Series #4: Descendancy Explorer


Exploring Genealogy Series #4 Descendancy Explorer

This Exploring Genealogy Series is about all of the different concepts, ideas, apps, programs, methodologies, and hardware that goes into doing genealogical research. Some of the topics I would like to explore are almost impossible to write about. Hence, the idea of talking my way through videos. You can find what I am doing on my own YouTube Channel.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4cT2_EjTMVVJgaF5Gdwl1Q?view_as=subscriber
You can subscribe to the Channel and get notified (or not) about upcoming videos. As I have already noted in previous blog posts, doing a video saves me an enormous amount of time. Doing genealogy-related videos will never get me listed as a YouTube star. If you really want to know how popular genealogy is as an activity, just look at the number of views of genealogy-related videos. There is only one genealogy entity that produces videos with more than a million views and that is the heavily advertised Ancestry.com.  The most popular video from FamilySearch.org has about 642 thousand views. But the second most popular video has 287 thousand views. These are some of the big hitters in genealogy. MyHeritage.com has two videos with over a million views. But what about the genealogists with YouTube Channels? You can check out the totals for yourself just look at the video tab and then sort the videos by popularity. 

How does that stack up to the YouTube stars? Lindsey Sterling can get over 2 million views in four months. Her videos have had over 2.5 billion views. The currently most popular YouTube Channel has over 94 billion views. 

What if I had started out with a more popular topic? Well, that is the problem about being a fanatic about a subject.

Anyway, if you think of a topic let me know what you would like me to put up on my channel. 

No comments:

Post a Comment