Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Wednesday, June 12, 2019

An Analysis of the Weekly Change Reports for the FamilySearch Family Tree: Week Two


I watch 301 people in the FamilySearch.org Family Tree. Every week I get a report from FamilySearch itemizing all of the changes to all of the people I am watching. This week's report (June 12, 2019), has 66 changes to 7 people. This is the second week of my compilation of the reports. This week's report contained some new people and some changes to the same people from the previous weeks. Here are the running totals that include both weeks.


As you can see from this cumulative report, the bulk of the changes are taking place with one individual, Francis Cooke of the Mayflower. With more data, the percentage of changes without a supporting source fell from 94% down to 85.3%. However, the number of unsupported changes still constitutes a significant burden on those watching these individuals should they wish to try and correct the changes.

I do not expect that this trend will change. I suggest that FamilySearch may wish to restrict any records where there are significant changes week after week. It would also help if FamilySearch added a requirement to provide a new source before any changes are allowed.

Here is a link to the first week's report

Week One: https://rejoiceandbeexceedingglad.blogspot.com/2019/06/an-analysis-of-weekly-change-reports.html

1 comment:

  1. This seems pretty consistent with the changes I see on my weekly emails. I think most of the changes for the people I watch come from three or four people who are probably looking through their list of record hints and attaching almost all of them. Most of my family history time these days is spent checking what they did and either fixing the mess, cleaning up what they added if it's correct, or building on what they added. I'm about three weeks behind right now. I'm interested to see the results you get over time.

    ReplyDelete