Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Sunday, September 15, 2019

Apps and The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints
The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints has 14 listed mobile apps but there are others that are embedded in other applications such as the app for reserving names for the temples called Ordinances Ready. These smaller more focused applications are designed to be used primarily by mobile devices. The reason for the proliferation of mobile apps is based on the number of people who access the internet solely through smartphones (i.e. mobile devices that can contact the internet). A recent study done by the Pew Research Center entitled, "Smartphone Ownership Is Growing Rapidly Around the World, but Not Always Equally," makes the finding:
Mobile technology has spread rapidly around the globe. Today, it is estimated that more than 5 billion people have mobile devices, and over half of these connections are smartphones. 
South Korea is the country with the highest percentage of people with smartphones at 95% of the population. The other 5% have regular mobile phones. I think they must give each baby born a smartphone. Israel is next with 88% of the population with smartphones followed by the Netherlands with 87%. The United States is down on the list with 81%. During a recent trip to the Netherlands, we found that even street vendors took payment from credit cards using mobile credit card transaction devices.

I live in Provo, Utah, a smaller town with a population of just over 117,000 people. Despite the statistics and despite the availability of Church-sponsored apps, very few of the members around me are aware of more than one or two of the apps. Possession and use of a smartphone do not automatically make you aware of the possible uses of the device.

It is inevitable that the expansion of the Church into countries that rely heavily on smartphones for any contact to the internet will mandate the increased emphasis on conducting the affairs of the Church using mobile devices. We are presently living in a transition period. The real impact of the online world is just now beginning to impact the entire earth. Just a few years ago, it would have seemed impossible that any technology could allow anyone to talk directly to two-thirds of the world's population but that is presently possible.

Perhaps you would like to know what each of the Church's apps can do for you.

No comments:

Post a Comment