Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Saturday, November 16, 2019

See how you are related to other users on the FamilySearch Family Tree

https://www.familysearch.org/blog/en/view-relationship-other-users/?et_cid=1549748&et_rid=107108866&linkid=CTA1&cid=em-fsn-9418
This is an interesting feature added to the FamilySearch.org Family Tree. Previously, we have been able to see our relationship to the people in the Family Tree but now that extends to the contributors.

Here is a quote from the announcement from FamilySearch.
If you have ever used Relatives at Rootstech to hunt down cousins at a conference or experimented with Relatives Around Me on the Family Tree app, then you already have a pretty good idea of how the new feature works. Each of these tools allow you to directly see how you are related to someone here and now, not just your past ancestors in the tree.
The difference? The new feature doesn’t require you to be within 100 feet of another person. It gives you the option to view your relationship anywhere you spot a contributor name on the Family Tree, so long as he or she has opted in to use the new feature. 
Excited yet? Try this for yourself on FamilySearch, or read more about how it works below. 
Hmm. However, the feature requires both you and the other contributors to the website to "opt in" in order to see the relationship. I really have no trouble allowing anyone who is working on the Family Tree to see me, but I guess if I start to see someone working on one of my close family lines who "opts out" of allowing me to see how we are related, I will probably send them the new message through the website asking how they are related anyway. 

I just got my list of changes for this week and I will get busy and see how this works and if anyone will respond.

No comments:

Post a Comment