Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Thursday, March 14, 2019

Explaining FamilySearch Apps as used in a previous post


I recently wrote a blog post entitled "A List of All of the FamilySearch Apps???". The way the post turned out may have caused some confusion. The term "app" has only a vague meaning. It was originally used to refer to the limited programs designed for mobile devices such as tablets and smartphones. As these programs became more sophisticated the use of the term "app" became used for more and more programs until even programs for desktop computers are included in the use of the term. For example, see Apple's App Store that has programs such as Microsoft Office 365.

However, I must admit that I used the term "app" somewhat injudiciously and perhaps to expansively. But my use of the term is also reflected in the expansive use by FamilySearch. Yes, FamilySearch has mobile apps that fall into the original use of the term but they also have lots of "hidden" parts of their website that fall into the more expansive category of apps. Here is one example:

https://www.familysearch.org/campaign/pioneers
I was thinking of this type of app when I began to write the previous blog post. I soon discovered that unless I already knew the identities of the apps or extensions or whatever you want to call them, I could not find them on the website. Of course, there are the not too easily found mobile apps in the Solutions Gallery. Here are the ones listed.





But there are also a few that I know about that are even harder to find. One really valuable one is the England Jurisdictions 1851 that hasn't been working for a while. Here is a screenshot:

https://www.familysearch.org/mapp/
While finding these additional "apps" I was overwhelmed with the number of pages on the website. Some of the apps I could remember have been removed. Here is an example.


There apparently is no longer a quick overview of the vast array of historical records and aids for those researching casualties and veterans of the Civil War.

Now I am sorry I used the word "all" in the previous post. I am completely at a loss to figure out how to find all the stuff on the FamilySearch.org website.

No comments:

Post a Comment