Genealogy from the perspective of a member of The Church of Jesus Christ of Latter-day Saints (Mormon, LDS)

Tuesday, March 21, 2017

Getting Started with Indexing Online with FamilySearch


After years of waiting, web-based indexing is finally getting started on FamilySearch.org. I am certain that developing this massive project was a very difficult challenge. I understand that the program is being rolled out in stages and it may still be a while before it appears as an option when you click on the indexing tab at the top of your FamilySearch.org startup screen. Apparently, the downloadable version is still being offered, but my wife had the experience of starting a batch in the downloaded program and then finding that she could not continue the same batch when she switched over to the web-based program. The instructions are clear and fairly simple.

When you click on My Indexing, you get to select a batch of records to index. I selected a batch of English records.


Here is what I saw when I opened the batch.


I suggest carefully reading through the instructions before jumping into the process, even if you have done a considerable amount of previous indexing.

Here is the entry page with the record showing.


This seemed much more efficient that the "old" program. I guess I am very much used to filling in forms online. I am sure I will have a lot of comments as I go along.

No comments:

Post a Comment